Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ode to a rainy Sunday farmer's market

As I mentioned in the previous post, it's been a rainy couple of days here in the Bay Area. But it was a Sunday, and I've been meaning to go to the farmer's market for a while. These poor vendors are out in the rain! The least I could do was buy their produce.

Here's what I found! A veritable winter cornucopia.

Collard greens

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Well if I'm going to have a play on words with these lovely greens as the blog title, I better show what I can do with them!

Meyer lemons

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Now that they're in season, I'm going to use them while I can. I'm thinking I've got the perfect recipe for lemon sorbet, so why not go Meyer?

Sweet potaters

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It's been a while since I've cooked up a sweet potato pie, that's for sure. These looked good. While most sweet potatoes I find at supermarkets are so gargantuan, these looked small. I'm hoping for more flavor out of these little 'uns.

Kabocha pumpkins

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
After having an ok winter squash casserole earlier this winter, I'm hoping that these Japanese pumpkins can help me kick it up a notch.

Pink Lady apples

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Vendor: These apples are perfect for pie.
Me: Sold.
'nuff said.

So stay tuned for the end products of these fabulous pieces of produce. It's sure to be a lively few days of cooking!

Stay classy, y'all!

<3 David

No comments:

Post a Comment