Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mazel!

Just made some matzo ball soup. It didn't turn out as well as I thought it would...kind of bland. The raw matzo ball dough smelled better than it tasted, however, it was a nice foray into the world of Jewish cooking. Here's what I did:

Chicken Soup:
Put two chicken thighs in a large pot, cover with water and 1 tbs salt and bring to a boil. Skim the foam and put in 5 peeled, sliced carrots, and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Boil for 70 minutes, skim the fat and remove the meat off the bones. Return the meat to the pot.

Matzos:
Mix two eggs, 1tbs chicken fat, 1tsp salt, 1tsp ice water, and 1/2 c matzo meal. Chill 15 minutes. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, drop in 1 inch balls and boil for 35 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and balls may be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Things I should have done:
-Bought celery for the chicken soup
-Not put the carrots in for the whole time--I was supposed to put it in after 30minutes of cooking
-Put in a chopped onion in the chicken soup--the onions I had at home were molded, which I found out after I had already started the soup; I cut one open and it smelled like POO. BEWARE OF ROTTEN ONIONS!!
-Used plain matzos--I used egg matzos, which taste better for eating as a snack than the plain, but I think they made the matzo balls overly egg-y.
-Added some pepper to my bowl of soup, I think I needed something fresh/zesty tasting to cut the fatty-ness/chickeny-ness of the soup

All in all, this has been a nice lesson in the world of chicken soup. Now I am going to try and make my soup work, as I have a couple days worth of leftovers..

-Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment